Tuesday 21 November 2017

Chinese chisels


Using a Chinese chisel to Clean up a cramp pocket.

I have had these chisels for over six years now. Quite different from the British style of chisel that I am used to.  I wasn't sure about these at first, but the more I use them, the more I like them.


Easy to sharpen. Rather lightweight, and the steel is slightly softer than my other chisels.  The narrowest ones can bend when used to lever with, so they are not suitable for heavy duty work.  However, they are good for paring with, and they hold their edge for a surprisingly long time. The fishtail pattern is useful for getting into tight areas, so they are ideal for cleaning up these cramp pockets.

Fishtail pattern Chinese chisels

The handles could be a more ergonomic shape, and oddly they are all the same size. The size of a tool handle is usually proportionate to the size of the blade. But having said that, they seem to be fine in use, so I will probably not make replacement handles for them.

These Chinese chisels are very nice to have in addition to my regular chisels, and it would also be nice to have a more robust version of these for heavy duty work.

The cramp pockets finished, and the former in use, with a dandao laminate cramped up.......

dandao laminated blade- cramped up


No comments:

Post a Comment